Thursday, February 8, 2007

Interview With Actor Stu Charno




For now over the past twenty five years Stu Charno has been active in film and television. He has appeared in the films The Chosen (1981), alongside Robby Benson, Once Bitten (1985), with a then unknown star-to-be Jim Carrey, Just One of the Guys (1985), Modern Girls (1986) and the Stephen King adaptations Christine (1983) and Sleepwalkers (1992). Stu also appeared in a handful of "Chicago Hope" episiodes. Most people and especially those who are diehard fans of the Friday the 13th films, would know Stu as he goofball Ted in Friday the 13th, Part 2 (1981).




First of all, countless thanks to you for your generous support in taking time out to give me this remarkable interview. It's immeasurably valued Stu.


SC: .... delighted ....


What was your outlook on Friday the 13th, Part 2 when you attended the original premiere?


SC: I had no idea of the size of the audience that it would attract. That was very cool for me....


Being your film debut and all, was it a captivating experience for you?


SC: Actually, my debut film was "The Chosen," with Robby Benson, Rod Steiger, Maximilian Schell, Barry Miller, etc.... So I was a hardened professional by this, my second film.... Just kidding.... It's funny to me how, when working on anything, i don't at the time, realize what it is.... It's not until later, when I'm finished, that I might get "captivated"....


As I'm aware that you're not a fan of the horror genre, what films more suit your preference?


SC: I'm a big comedy fan.... The Big Lebowski, tons of others I can't think of now.... Etc.


You've proved to be a great comedic actor, therefore, you've landed the role of Ted because of your clever and distinctive sense of humour. Would you please care to elaborate somewhat further there Stu?


SC: I feel funny.... the director, Steve Miner, said tell a joke, n' I did.... we all laughed.... Ted was born!


During the scene in which you character is drinking up a storm, how exactly did you feel when shooting wrapped that evening?


SC: Like always.... tired, but not jrunk enuf, so I went to an after-hours place (well, the fact is, they wouldn't let us jrink real beer while we shot, but they did bring us some real beers at the end of the day.)


With an estimated budget of US $1,000,000, I'm glad they threw in a few coldies for you guys. Now, weren't you glad Ted was insubordinate towards Paul's instructions, therefore, he survived the Crystal Lake carnage?


SC: Is that how it works? Cool.... I'll no for next time....


If there was another sequel in the future and I'm positive there will be, could you see yourself portraying Ted for yet another outing if offered the chance to do so?


SC: I'm waiting for them to call.


I must ask you Stu about that BBQ apron they had you wearing. I can't help but laugh hysterically and I wish to know how you felt about the infamous apron? Did they let you keep it? Did they let you keep anything from the set? Did you steal anything?


SC: I sure wish they had.... I neeeeeed a BBQ apron like that one....


Did you ever have the opportunity to meet with the late, great Mr. Walt Gorney who played Crazy Ralph?


SC: Yes, we met.... I think he was a deeply interesting guy, but it made me too nervous to be around him.... we didn't hang out at all....


I heard Mr. Gorney mainly kept to himself so he could remain in character throughout the shoot. Now, I see by the pictures on your website that you're brilliant at making furniture. Did you ever consider building film sets at all?


SC: Those guys make stuff that's intended to be "temporary"-- just for the set, and they make it REALLY fast, brilliantly. My skills are to make something that'll last a lifetime - or two! I'm not really qualified for that gig.... besides, those guys only sleep once a month.... tough lads....


I read somewhere that you and co-star Bill Randolph (who plays Jeff) had remained friends for some years and that he himself was actually good friends with Kevin Bacon at the time when you were shooting the film. Do you ever recall meeting Mr. Bacon?


SC: I don't think Kevin and I ever met. N' Bill Randolph is truly a marvellous actor and he's got a kid now, so he's not doing acting no more.


The Chosen was a much brilliant work of art. How was that experience for you?


SC: I agree.... a beautiful and touching film with great actors in it. Like I said, it was my first job, but I'm such a goofball, it was like a day in the park, easy n' fun, and I just remembered this -- it takes place in 1945 so they had to make everything look like that era, which means no air conditioners or surrounding buildings, no cigarettes with filters, etc, etc, etc. A huge deal....


Apparantly Russell Todd was quite the prankster on set. Do you recall this rumour by chance?


SC: I have a vague recollection on somebody fooling with our stack of empty bottles the night we proudly left them out. Like WE made the mess.... Russell Todd.... What a character!!!!


The next fifteen questions is what I call "THE INTERROGATION," questions. Please answer them in a comedic or serious manor. Your call.


SC: These "favourite" questions are ridiculous in SO many ways -- the supposition is that I'm a stable entity, which obviously I'm not.... That said;


Who's your favourite actor?


SC: This one is impossible to answer. There are too many brilliantly talented people out there.


Who's your favourite actress?


SC: I think that Jennifer garner is the most beautiful woman that Satan n' God ever created.... I can stare at her endlessly, and don't trust my assessment of her talent because of that.


What's your favourite film?

SC: Hmmmm.... the jury's still out....

What's your favourite sport?

SC: Women's oil wrestling.

What's your favourite sports team?

SC: The Penguins. (I don't know what they play. I just like the name.)

What's your favourite food?

SC: Cocoa Puffs. NO.... that's not true.... I thought it would be fun to write....

What's your favourite drink?

SC: Makers Mark Bourbon. THAT ONE.... I could answer!

What's your favourite music?

SC: Bebop jazz.... Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Lennie Tristan (my teacher....)

What's been your favourite film experience?

SC: Laura Moscowitz. We were watching -- no.... I think this is tooooo personal....

Sounds interesting there Stu. Apart from acting, what other career would you like to have tried?

SC: I always wanted to put out oil fires. That, and women's oil wrestling....

Which particular film or television role do you most regret missing out on?

SC: OUCH! Thank you for bringing up such a painful memory! Why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it!!!!

If you were having a dinner party or cooking a BBQ, which six people would you care to invite?

SC: I think just you and I, and a bottle of Makers -- plus some women oil wrestlers!

As we are known to let the odd profane word slip from time to time, which curse word do you use most commonly?

SC: I creatively change the spelling of words all the time, so I'm not sure what you're fikkkin talking about....

I have zero fuggin clue also. Which is your preference? Film, television or theatre?

SC: TV. I've got a big one, and don't have to go outside at all....

And finally Stu, what's the best advice you can give aspiring performers?

SC: Get a real job. What I mean is, get a real PAYING job first. Any art suffers when there's no financial stability. Create as much art as you wanna, but get your ducks fed first....

Again, thank you ever so kindly Stu for your wonderful assistance in making this interview ever so possible. All the best to you Mr. Charno and great luck in all of your future endeavours.

SC: Just being alive is amazing.... Tally ho!

Kind regards,

Barry Dominey, Jr.

No comments: